To receive their PhD, students have to be enrolled in a university – the Leibniz Universität Hannover is the default choice for students at the Albert Einstein Institute in Hannover. This page provides information about admission as a PhD student to this university. If you have further questions or if you want to enroll in a different university (German or international), please contact the IMPRS Coordinator in Hannover.
Registration at Leibniz Universität Hannover
PhD students at the University of Hannover have to pay a fee each semester which currently amounts to 410,35 EUR (including a ticket for the public transport). All students are required to matriculate already at the beginning of their PhD.
Furthermore, PhD students at the AEI Hannover are required to gain teaching experience during their first two years. This should be achieved in the student laboratory or in tutorials, and as advisor for undergraduates in the student seminar.
Matriculation and Admission
Doctoral researchers are required to matriculate as doctoral students at the university. In addition, they have to be admitted as doctoral researchers by the Faculty of Mathematics and Physics or by the Faculty of QUEST – at least three months before submitting the thesis. Matriculation and admission as a doctoral researcher will in most cases be handled in one step.
Please submit the documents listed at https://www.maphy.uni-hannover.de/en/research/doctorate/ to the Faculty of Mathematics and Physics or QUEST.
A non-certified copy is sufficient if you show the original or a certified copy to Brigitte Weskamp (Faculty of Mathematics and Physics) or Brigitte Ohlendorf (QUEST), respectively. Your official supervisor must be a professor at Leibniz Universität Hannover, e.g. Prof. Bruce Allen or Prof. Karsten Danzmann.
Birgit OhlendorfQUEST Office
Brigitte WeskampPromotionsbüro der Fakultät für Mathematik und Physik
Application for Conferment of the Degree “Dr. rer. nat.”
When you have finished your thesis, hand in
- a copy of your thesis to each of your referees
- application for opening the doctoral examination procedure
- another 2 copies of your thesis
- your professor's proposal for referees
- your professor's proposal for examiners and examination date
- affirmation in lieu of an oath that you
- wrote your thesis yourself and did not use any auxiliary means other than those indicated
- did not use your thesis as a Master's thesis or any other examination paper
- list of publications
- German and English abstract as electronic data files
- certificate of matriculation at Leibniz Universität Hannover