IMPRS Lecture Week
Feb 28, 2010 06:00 PM
Mar 05, 2010 05:00 PM
|Where||Bildungszentrum Erkner, Seestr. 39, 15537 Erkner|
|Add event to calendar||
The week comprises 15 lectures of three different topics of Gravitational Wave Astronomy:
- Experimental GW Physics (5 lectures, Danzmann, Danzmann,Willke, Willke, Grote)
(Programme for all 3 lecture weeks of the year/ affecting Erkner: lectures 1 - 5)
- General Relativity (5 lectures, Schutz)
- Numerical Relativity & Theoretical Astrophysics (5 lectures, Rezzolla)
The course "Numerical Relativity & Theoretical Astrophysics" (see below for detailed contents) will continue remotely for three more lectures after the lecture week and then extend to a specialized course for those students working in that field.
Participation is mandatory for all first-year students.
- Bernard Schutz, A First Course In General Relativity (revised 2nd edition), Cambridge University Press, 2009
The lecture week takes place at the Bildungszentrum Erkner (Click here for a map)
Accommodation will be in twin rooms in the same hotel.
The hotel offers a swimming pool (which is hopefully reopened after renovation), a sauna, a fitness room, a ping-pong table, a pool table, a tennis court (outside), and a bowling alley (for a small fee).
Arrival at the hotel is scheduled for dinner on Sunday evening, February 28, at 6 p.m.
- Participants from AEI Golm should take the regional express RE1 from Potsdam or Berlin to Erkner, or the S-Bahn Line S3 from Berlin to Erkner (terminal station).
- For participants from AEI Hannover, the best option is being checked; information will follow in time.
All PhD students with a contract or a stipend at the AEI (Hannover and Golm) should fill in a request for business trips (Dienstreiseantrag) with the cost unit "M.R5.A.QOP10001" and the purpose of travel "IMPRS lecture week".
All PhD students with a contract or a stipend at the Universität Hannover should fill in a personnel matters form (Einladungsvorschlag) of the AEI with the following dates:
cost unit: M.R5.A.QOP10001
purpose of invitation: IMPRS lecture week
Short visit: Travel expenses from Hannover to Erkner, Perdiem no, Overnight costs yes, Taxi no
About IMPRS Lecture Weeks
The lecture weeks are part of the PhD students' education in Gravitational Wave Astronomy at the AEI. They should take place about three times per year with courses on general relativity, on numerical relativity & theoretical astrophysics, on statistics & data analysis, and on different topics of experimental gravitational wave physics. The lectures are meant to teach experimental topics to the theorists and theoretical topics to the experimentalists (and broaden the knowledge in GR for all of them). This way, the PhD students should become gravitational wave astronomers knowing all the different aspects of this research field.
Contents of the Courses
- Initial value problem
- 3+1 split, extrinsic curvature etc.
- evolution and constraint equations
- Wave extraction techniques
- Newtonian hydrodynamics
Modeling sources - Observational evidence - Binary black holes and binary neutron stars - Isolated stars
- Stability, gravitational collapse
- Measuring errors
- Classification of PDEs
- Boundary conditions, uniqueness, existence
- Discrete operators
- Finite difference
- Finite volume
- Spectral methods
- Overview of astrophysical observations
- Different EM bands and processes
- Current instruments
- GW instruments and connection to astrophysics
- Stellar formation and evolution
- Stellar formation
- H-R diagram
- End state of stellar evolution
- White dwarfs
- Black holes
- Neutron stars
- Binary black holes
- Binary neutron stars
- Binary white dwarfs
- Galactic dynamics and LISA sources