IMPRS Lecture Week
Nov 02, 2008 07:00 PM
Nov 07, 2008 05:00 PM
|Where||Waldhotel Wandlitz, Bernauer Chaussee 28, 16348 Wandlitz|
|Contact Name||Dörte Bange|
|Contact Phone||0331 567-7334|
|Add event to calendar||
The week comprises 15 lectures of three different topics of Gravitational Wave Astronomy:
- Laser Interferometry (5 lectures):
- Gravitational waves and light propagation, modulation and sidebands (Danzmann)
- Interferometer response and optical phase detection, gaussian beams (Danzmann)
- Modeling of heterodyne interferometers, spectral noise densities (Heinzel)
- Interferometer operation, laser stabilization (Willke)
- Interferometer quantum noise and squeezing (Schnabel)
- General Relativity (5 lectures, Schutz):
- Equivalence principle and geometry for gravity
- Einstein field equations and basic applications
- Black holes
- Gravitational waves
- Numerical Relativity (5 lectures, Rezzolla):
The lectures will provide basic knowledge in the fields of GW Astronomy which are not in the main focus of the students' reseach. Students don't have to attend the lectures of their working fields.
On Thursday, November 6, there will be an additional talk at the University of Potsdam:
- Probing the Gravitational Universe with Gravitational Waves (Luc Blanchet)
Participation is mandatory for all first-year students.
|until dinner||discussions, spare time|
|after dinner||nice informal evenings|
The lecture week takes place at the Waldhotel Wandlitz (Click here for a map)
Bernauer Chaussee 28
Accommodation will be in twin rooms in the same hotel.
There is wireless internet connection at the hotel, so you can bring your laptops to work with (we will also have two extra rooms for working/discussing etc). If you want to borrow a laptop of the institute, contact the computer support (in Hannover/Golm respectively) in time!
Arrival at the hotel is scheduled for dinner on Sunday evening, November 2, at 7 p.m.
- There will be a bus transfer from Hannover to Wandlitz and back.
The bus will start at Callinstr. 38 on Sunday, Nov 2, at 4 p.m.
- Participants from AEI Golm should come to Wandlitz by themselves.
There is a regional train (NE27) going from Berlin-Karow (S-Bahn line S2) to Wandlitz once per hour: e.g. departure on 18:29 in Berlin-Karow, arrival at Wandlitz at 18:46. From the train station Wandlitz you turn right into the Bernauer Chaussee and walk down the street for about 800 m (~10 minutes, hotel comes on the left hand side).
See www.vbb-fahrinfo.de for public transport connections from your residence.
All PhD students with a contract or a stipend at the AEI (Hannover and Golm) should fill in a request for business trips (Dienstreiseantrag) with the cost unit "IMPRS Hannover" and the purpose of travel "IMPRS lecture week".
All PhD students with a contract or a stipend at the Universität Hannover should fill in a personnel matters form (Einladungsvorschlag) of the AEI with the following dates:
cost unit: IMPRS Hannover
purpose of invitation: IMPRS lecture week
Short visit: Travel expenses from Hannover to Wandlitz, Perdiem yes, Overnight costs yes, Taxi no
All Diploma students and Post-docs should fill in a "Dienstreiseantrag" with their usual cost unit. (If you are not sure which cost unit to take, ask your supervisor or one of the secretaries.)