Prof. Dr. Karsten Danzmann
Karsten Danzmann is Director at the Max Planck Institute for Gravitational Physics (Albert Einstein Institute), Hannover, Head of the division Laser Interferometry and Gravitational Wave Astronomy, and Director of the Institute for Gravitational Physics at the Leibniz Universität Hannover.
- Planning and realization of GEO600 and LISA
- Born in 1955 in Rotenburg/Wümme
- 1973-77 Studies of physics at TU Clausthal and Universität Hannover, 1977 Diplom, 1980 PhD.
- 1978-82 Scientific assistant at the Institute for Plasma Physics (Univ. Hannover)
- 1982-83 Guest scientist at Stanford University (USA), funded by DFG
- 1983-86 Physikalisch-Technische Bundesanstalt, Berlin
- 1986-90 Assistant professor at Stanford University (USA)
- 1990-93 Project leader for gravitational waves at the Max Planck Institute of Quantum Optics, Garching
- since 1993 Professor at the University of Hannover and Director of the Institute for Atomic and Molecular Physics (in 2002 renamed Institute for Gravitational Physics)
- 1994-2001 Head of the Hannover branch of the Max Planck Institute of Quantum Optics
- since 2002 Director at the Max Planck Institute for Gravitational Physics (Albert Einstein Institute) in Hannover.
Max Planck Institute for Gravitational Physics
phone: +49-511-762 2356