Leibniz Universität Hannover
PhD students at the University of Hannover have to pay a fee each semester which currently amounts to 410,35 EUR (including a ticket for the public transport). All students are required to matriculate already at the beginning of their PhD.
Furthermore, PhD students at the AEI Hannover are required to gain teaching experience during their first two years. This should be achieved in the student laboratory or in tutorials, and as advisor for undergraduates in the student seminar (see the Welcome letter).
Matriculation and Admission
Doctoral researchers are required to matriculate as doctoral students at the university. In addition, they have to be admitted as doctoral researchers by the Faculty of Mathematics and Physics or by the Faculty of Quest – at least three months before submitting the thesis. Matriculation and admission as a doctoral researcher will in most cases be handled in one step.
Please submit the following documents to the Faculty of Mathematics and Physics or QUEST:
- application of admission (sample letter – in German only)
- officially certified copy1 of your master's degree (or equivalent)
- letter of acceptance by your supervisor2 (sample letter – in German only)
- short research proposal
- affirmation in lieu of an oath that you did not apply (now and in the past) for a doctoral procedure at another university or another faculty (sample letter – in German only)
|A normal copy is sufficient if you show the original or a certified copy to Ms. Weskamp (MaPhy) or Ms. Ohlendorf (QUEST)
|Your official supervisor must be a professor at Leibniz Universität Hannover, e.g. Prof. Allen, Prof. Danzmann,
Dean Prof. Wolfgang Ertmer
Birgit Ohlendorf (Secretary)
Please visit Ms. Ohlendorf in person by appointment.
Tel. +49 511 762 - 17240
Hand in all these documents to:
der Fakultät für Mathematik und Physik
Appelstraße 11 a
Tel. +49 511 762 - 17309
Fax +49 511 762 - 5819
Tuesday and Thursday 9.30 a.m. – 12 a.m. and on appointment
You will receive a letter of confirmation certifying that you are admitted as doctoral student at the Faculty of Mathematics and Physics. With this document, you may matriculate at the central matriculation office:
- fill in the (in German only – ask a fellow student or the coordinator, if you need assistance!)
- pay the semester fee
- hand in all the required documents, i.e.
- officially certified copy of your high school degree (with translation if not in German)
- officially certified copy of your university degree (with translation if not in German)
- confirmation of admission as a doctoral student at the Faculty of Mathematics and Physics (see above)
- proof of payment of the semester fee
- signed printout of the form that you received after the online registration
Leibniz Universität Hannover
Phone: +49 511.762 - 2020 (Servicehotline)
Fax: +49 511.762 - 19385
Mon – Thu: 10 a.m. – 5 p.m.
Fri: 10 a.m. – 3 p.m.
Application for Conferment of the Degree "Dr. rer. nat."
When you have finished your thesis, hand in
- a copy of your thesis to each of your referees
and the following documents to Ms. Guttner at the Dean's office:
- application for opening the doctoral examination procedure (sample letter – in German only)
- another 2 copies of your thesis
- your professor's proposal for referees (sample letter – in German only)
- your professor's proposal for examiners and examination date (sample letter – in German only)
- affirmation in lieu of an oath that you (sample letter – in German only)
- wrote your thesis yourself and did not use any auxiliary means other than those indicated
- did not use your thesis as a Master's thesis or any other examination paper
- list of publications
- German and English abstract as electronic data files
- certificate of matriculation at Leibniz Universität Hannover